Comforting Slow-Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
The best comforting and healthy Chicken Noodle Soup made in a slow-cooker so you don't have to do any of the work!
- 1 ½ lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs, excess fat trimmed
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, sliced into half moons
- 3 large carrots, peeled and diced into small pieces
- 2 tsp dried rosemary, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 8 cups no added salt chicken broth
- 1 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt- or reduce if using salty chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 oz whole wheat spaghetti or linguini, broken into thirds or pasta of choice
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Optional* chopped fresh parsley for garnish
Add all ingredients except for the noodles, lemon juice and parsley to a slow cooker and mix.
Set to high and cook for 3-4 hours, or 6-8 hours on low.
Once done cooking and the chicken is cooked through (internal temp of 165F), remove the chicken and shred using 2 forks. Add back to the crock pot along with the lemon juice. Taste and adjust as necessary- add more salt, pepper or lemon juice to adjust if you'd like!
If using long noodles like spaghetti, break them into thirds before cooking. Cook according to package directions to 1 MINUTE under al-dente- to ensure they dont turn to mush in the soup.
Add in the noodles and fresh parsley if using just before serving. Enjoy!
If preparing the soup ahead of time to freeze, leave out the noodles and add just before serving. They won't hold up well once frozen and thawed.
I tested this recipe a few times, and highly recommend using whole wheat noodles and cooking them separately. I tried using egg noodles and cooking them right in the crock pot. The noodles turned to mush and the whole batch wasn't salvageable. Don't make my mistake!
Chicken breast would work here as well, however chicken thighs add more flavour and richness.