Chicken Shawarma Bowl with Garlic Turmeric Rice
Topped with tangy tzatziki and fresh veggies, this bowl is the perfect flavourful meal and makes for a perfect meal prepped lunch!
- 2.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 5 breasts) chopped into 1 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp each of paprika, cumin, turmeric
- 1/4 tsp each of cayenne pepper, ground cloves, salt
- Pinch ground black pepper
Garlic Turmeric Rice
- 2 cups brown rice, uncooked
- Approx. 1 tsp olive oil for the pot
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, small diced
- 1 tsp turmeric
- Pinch salt & pepper
- Chicken broth or water (for the rice)
- 1 medium cucumber, medium diced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- tzatziki to top each bowl
- crumbled feta cheese to top
- fresh parsley for garnish, chopped optional
- thai chilies, sliced for garnish optional (very spicy!)
Marinate the Chicken
Start by chopping the chicken breast into 1 inch cubes. Add to a shallow dish or a plastic ziplock bag.
To the dish, add the remaining marindade ingredients and mix well, coating all sides of the chicken pieces.
Allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes up to overnight.
Make the Garlic Turmeric Rice
Rinse 2 cups of rice in a wire colander and set aside to drain. Add the olive oil to a medium pot and heat over medium.
Once to pot is hot, add in the diced onion and minced garlic. Saute for 3-5 minutes until the onions have softened. Add in the turmeric, salt & pepper and saute for another 30 seconds.
Add in the rice and broth or water. Use the amount of liquid that the rice package calls for- it'll differ depending on the type of rice you use.
Cook the rice according to the package directions until all the liquid id absorbed. Set aside.
While the rice is cooking, preheat a large frying pan over medium heat with a drizzle of olive oil.
Once hot, add in the chicken pieces. Cook for about 3-5 minutes per side until nicely seared/browned. Continue flipping pieces of chicken to brown each side, about 10-15 minutes total until you've reached an internal temperature of 165F. You can cover with a lid between flipping to speed up the cooking. Set aside.
Assemble the Chicken Shawarma bowls
Once the chicken and rice are cooked, assemble your bowls.
Top the rice with the chicken, diced cucmber, sliced cherry tomatoes, tzatziki, crumbled feta cheese. Optional: sliced thai chilies (remove the seeds to reduce the heat, but be careful, these chilies are SPICY), fresh parsley. Enjoy!
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days.