These Blackened Fish Tacos are super simple to make and only take about 15 minutes from start to finish! They are a delicious and nutritious dinner that everyone will love, perfect for tacos, topping rice bowls, or all on it’s own.
What you’ll need:
The ingredients in these Blackened Fish Tacos are super simple. All you’ll need are a few filets of white fish, some dried herbs and spices, and any of your favourite taco toppings.
- 2 filets of basa fish (or white fish of choice- you want to ensure the type you choose is fairly firm so it does not fall apart while cooking. Cod, halibut and mahi-mahi are good options)
- spices/herbs including: paprika, cayenne pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, dried oregano and cumin, black pepper and salt
- avocado oil or cooking oil of choice
- small corn or flour tortillas
- Preferred taco toppings (suggestions): shredded cabbage or vinegar based coleslaw, lime juice, fresh cilantro, salsa, guacamole, sliced avocado, hot sauce, diced tomatoes, shredded lettuce
A healthy meal in no time at all
Fish is an excellent lean source of protein making this a great balanced meal idea when combined with with other components of the taco. Corn or flour tortillas, especially whole wheat flour tortillas contain fibre and complex carbohydrates that help to keep you full for longer.
Tacos are great for loading up on a variety of vegetables! I love using a base of shredded cabbage to up my veggie intake, plus adding salsa & guac adds even more plant based fibre and nutrients.
Be sure to leave a star rating and review below so I know how you liked it!
If you like Blackened Fish Tacos, you’ll also love these easy dinner ideas:
Blackened Fish Tacos
- 2 filets base fish (or preferred white fish)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp each of cayenne pepper, onion powder
- 1/2 tsp each of garlic powder, dried oregano, cumin
- Pinch salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp avocado oil or cooking oil of choice
- 4 small corn or flour tortillas
- Optional toppings: shredded cabbage, avocado, guacamole, sliced avocado, salsa, fresh cilantro, hot sauce
- With a paper towel pat the pieces of fish dry. In a small bowl, mix together the spices including salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle the seasoning over both sides of the fish filets and rub it in with your hands.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium- medium low heat. Once hot add the oil, heat for a moment before adding the seasoned fish filets.
- Sear for about 3-5 minutes per side until deeply browned and cooked through, reaching an internal temperature of 145°F.
- Remove from heat and use for tacos, rice bowls or on it’s own. Enjoy!