When it comes to healthy snacks, these Whole Wheat Blueberry Lemon Muffins are a delicious and nourishing option everyone will love. The tangy flavour of the lemon to the classic blueberry muffin make them a great addition to your spring baking list!
A nourishing snack or grab & go breakfast
This healthy muffin recipe is packed with whole grains thanks to the easy swap of whole wheat flour vs. regular white flour.
Whole wheat flour is a great source of fiber which can improve your digestion and keep you feeling full for longer. Greek yogurt is high in protein and calcium, which can help build and maintain strong bones and muscles.
The greek yogurt is added here not only for nutrition, but to to add moisture and create that fluffiness you want in baked goods. It is great in recipes that use whole wheat flour as it helps to counteract that naturally dryer texture of whole wheat baked goods.
Ingredients in Whole Wheat Blueberry Lemon Muffins
- whole wheat flour
- salt, baking soda and baking powder
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 large eggs
- 2% vanilla greek yogurt (or flavour or choice)
- milk of choice
- olive oil * or neutral oil of choice
- vanilla extract
- frozen blueberries *Or sub for fresh blueberries
If you make this recipe be sure to leave a star rating and review below.
Whole Wheat Blueberry Lemon Muffins
- 1 ¾ cups whole wheat flour + 1 tsp to dust the berries
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vanilla greek yogurt 2%
- 1/4 cup milk of choice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups frozen blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line 12 muffin tins with paper or reusable liners.
- Start by mixing the dry ingredients together in a medium bowl, including the flour, salt, cinnamon, baking soda and powder.
- In a separate bowl add the remaining ingredients except for the blueberries and mix until combined. Add the frozen blueberries to a separate bowl and coat them in 1 tsp of flour.
- Fold the blueberries into the muffin mixture until just incorporated. Spoon the mixture evenly between the 12 muffin cups.
- Top each muffin with a few extra blueberries if desired then transfer to the oven and bake for 22-25 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
- Allow to cool in the tins for a few minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack. Once completely cool store in an airtight container refrigerated for up to 5 days