This hearty, warming salad is packed with nourishing ingredients and perfect for the fall season. This salad includes moroccan spiced and roasted butternut squash with pearl couscous and lentils over a bed of arugula, topped with tangy feta cheese. You’ll want to make this all fall long!
Ingredients in Pearl Couscous and Butternut Squash Salad
- 1 butternut squash
- Olive oil
- You’ll make your own moroccan style spice blend by mixing cumin, ginger, oregano, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, allspice and salt
- Pearl couscous, which is also called Israeli couscous
- Vegetable broth, or you can sub for water to cook the couscous. Broth adds more flavour!
- 1 can (19 oz) lentils
- Feta cheese for topping
A nourishing, cozy recipe that packs in so much nutrients
With squash being in season this time of year, it’s an inexpensive and easy way to add loads of nutrition to your meals.
Butternut squash is rich in vitamin A, very high in vitamin C and various types of B vitamins, all of which help to support a healthy immune system during the fall. Squash also contains a good amount of fibre (7 grams in 1 cup of cooked squash!), making it a great option for digestion and gut health. Lentils also provide extra fibre in this recipe among other nutrients.
I love using seasonal fruits and vegetables in my recipes because eating a varied diet is incredibly good for you. By eating seasonal foods, you will naturally have a varied diet which helps to provide all the variety of vitamins, minerals, amino acids and different types of antioxidants and plant nutrients that promote good health.
Check out more recipes using squash on the website:
If you try this recipe be sure to leave a star rating and review below. Enjoy!
Pearl Couscous and Butternut Squash Salad
- 1 small/medium butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp each of ground cumin, ground ginger and oregano
- 1/4 tsp each of ground cayenne, cinnamon, allspice and salt
- 1 cup dry pearl couscous (also called Israeli couscous)
- 1 ¼ cup vegetable broth (or sub for water)
- 1 can (19 oz) lentils, strained and rinsed
- About 8 cups arugula
- feta cheese for topping
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. While the oven preheats toss the diced butternut squash in the oil and mix in the spices. Spread evenly on the baking sheet and bake for 40-45 minutes or until cooked through, flipping halfway.
- While the squash is cooking make the pearl couscous. Heat a pot over medium heat and add the dry couscous, stirring frequently until slightly golden brown and toasted, about 3 minutes. Add in the broth and cook for 8-10 minutes or according to package directions until the liquid has been absorbed. Set aside.
- Add the cooked squash, lentils and couscous to a large mixing bowl and mix well. Plate on top of a bed of arugula and top with feta cheese. Enjoy!