These Greek Chicken Gyros are so delicious and packed with fresh flavours from the tzatziki, tomatoes, cucumbers and kalamata olives topped with greek marinated chicken thighs. They make for the perfect easy dinner!
Greek Chicken Gyros: Easy, delicious dinner idea
Greek Chicken Gyros and very simple to make and pack in so much flavour. A simple marinade using greek yogurt adds so much flavour and tenderizes the meat due to the natural acid content of the yogurt. The remaining ingredients include fresh veggies, kalamata olives, and tzatziki which can be bought from the store, or made fresh you prefer.
Check out my recipe for homemade tzatziki sauce here!
A great example of a balanced meal
This Greek Chicken Gyros recipe contains all the components needed for a nutritionally balanced dinner that is both satisfying and filling.
As a reminder, a nutritionally balanced meal contains protein, fibre and healthy fats!
Protein: From the chicken thighs and a little from the tzatziki which is traditionally made from greek yogurt.
Fibre: From the pita bread; opt for whole wheat version for extra fibre. The fresh veggie also contribute fibre along with vitamins and minerals.
Healthy fats: Olives contain unsaturated fats, the type that we want to try to get more of in our diets. Healthy fats help to keep you full for hours! Unsaturated fatty acids are great for our cardiovascular health and helps us absorb certain vitamins like vitamin A, D and E.
How to make Greek Chicken Gyros
Start by marinating the chicken thighs up for at least 30 minutes or up to overnight.
Once marinated, grill on the BBQ for 10-15 minutes, flipping halfway through. Option to heat up your pita bread on the BBQ as well.
Top the pita with tzatziki, kalamata olives, cucumber, tomatoes, fresh herbs and the cooked greek chicken. Enjoy!
If you try this recipe be sure to leave a star rating and review so I know how you liked it.
If you like this recipe, you’ll also love this Chicken & Feta Sheet Pan, Chicken Shawarma Bowl, or Hemp Heart Crusted Chicken Strips.
Greek Chicken Gyros
Greek Chicken Marinade
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley or 1 tsp dried
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- Pinch salt and black pepper
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
Pita & Suggested Toppings
- 4 medium/large pita bread
- Sliced tomatoes
- Sliced cucumber
- Pitted kalamata olives
- Fresh parsley, dill or cilantro
- Lettuce *Optional
- Red onion, sliced *Optional
- Mix all the ingredients for the marinade in a large bowl and add in the chicken thighs. Mix to coat. Place covered in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or up to overnight.
- Once marinated, preheat the BBQ to medium heat (around 400°F). Place the chicken on the hot grill and cook for 5-7 minutes on each side until an internal temp of 165°F is reached. Heat up the pita bread on the grill if desired.
- Top the pita with lots of tzatziki, tomatoes, cucumbers, olives or toppings of choice. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply