These Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins are perfectly sweet and filled with nourishing ingredients like rolled oats, whole grain flour and banana. These muffins make for the perfect snack or dessert!
Ingredients in Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1 large egg
- ground cinnamon
- vanilla extract
- olive or vegetable oil of choice, a neural oil like canola would work well!
- whole wheat flour
- rolled oats
- baking soda, salt
- chocolate chips
- Optional chopped walnuts or nuts of choice
Tips for making this recipe
These Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins use super simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry. Plus they are the perfect way to use up your over ripe bananas.
This recipe only uses ONE BOWL to save you from all the dishes. Read through my tips so you can make the best banana chocolate chip muffins ever!
- Spoon and level the flour into your measuring cup. Instead of using your measuring cup to scoop flour right out of the bag, use a big spoon to shovel the flour into your measuring cup, then use the handle of the spoon or the flat edge of a knife to level off any excess. This helps to get a more accurate measurement and prevent using too much flour which will make these muffins more dense.
- Use any neutral tasting oil you have on hand. I usually have olive oil handy and I don’t find the taste too overpowering, but I’ve also used canola with great results.
- Optional add ins: shredded coconut, chopped nuts like walnuts or pecans, white chocolate or peanut butter chips.
- You could omit the chocolate chips and use alternate add ins, however I love the addition of chocolate with the banana flavour!
Looking for more ways to use your ripe bananas? Check out my Banana Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Bars, or this Chocolate Marbled Banana Bread.
If you try out this recipe, be sure to leave a star rating and review to let me know how you liked it. Happy muffin baking!
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 3 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp olive or vegetable oil of choice
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips Plus more for topping
- Optional 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line or grease 12 muffin tins.
- In a medium bowl, mash the bananas using a fork until fairly smooth. Crack the egg into the bowl and whisk together.
- Add in the cinnamon , vanilla, honey and oil and mix together well. To the same bowl add the flour, oats, baking soda and salt and mix until just combined, then fold in the chocolate chips and nuts if using.
- Spoon the mixture evenly between the 12 lined muffin tins. Top with extra chocolate chips if desired.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes until the edges are golden brown and the middle is set. Allow to cool for a few minutes in the muffin tin then transfer to a wise cooling rack to finish cooling.