The perfect holiday dessert, these decadent Chocolate Peppermint Cookies laced with peppermint and dipped in white chocolate and crunchy candy cane pieces. These cookies are gluten-free so they can be enjoyed by more of you!
My gluten-free friends don’t need to miss out on all the delicious holiday cookies! I made these cookies gluten free so they can be enjoyed by more of you.
Gluten free ingredients:
- Almond flour & coconut flour. These are some of my favourite gluten free flours because they provide a great texture! I would not recommend to substitute other flours in this recipe as I have not tested it, and don’t skip the coconut flour!
Ingredients in Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- Almond flour
- Coconut flour
- Cocoa powder
- Baking soda
- Espresso powder *Optional to enhance the chocolate flavour
- Brown sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Peppermint extract
- Chocolate chips
- White chocolate
- Candy canes: I suggest to place the candy canes unwrapped in a ziploc bag and crush them using a rolling pin or meat tenderizer.
How to melt chocolate
You can use a white chocolate bar, white baking chocolate or chocolate chips in this recipe. I prefer to use chocolate chips as they are the ideal sized pieces for melting. If you’re using a bar, I recommend to chop it up into small uniform pieces to prevent burning.
Using a microwave:
I opted to use the microwave method for this recipe since there isn’t a huge amount of chocolate you need melted. I would use a double boiler if I were to melt a larger amount to prevent burning.
- Place the white chocolate in a small microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave for 30 seconds then stir the chocolate in the bowl.
- Repeat, microwaving in 30 second increments and stirring each time until the chocolate is completely melted.
Using a double boiler:
This method uses steam created with the double boiler to melt the chocolate. This method is best for melting larger quantities of chocolate to prevent burning.
- Add about 1-2 inches of water to a saucepan. Place the top part of the double boiler on top. Alternately if you don’t have the top attachment, place a heat safe bowl that is large enough to create a seal around the edges of the saucepan.
- Add the chocolate to the top bowl. Turn the stove onto medium low-medium heat. As the water begins to simmer and steam, it will start to melt the chocolate
- Constantly stir the chocolate until completely melted.
Looking for more holiday treats? Then check out these Orange Chocolate Chip Cookies or these Vegan and gluten free Gingerbread Bites!
Be sure to leave a star rating and review if you try out these cookies, enjoy!
Chocolate Peppermint Cookies (Gluten-free)
- 1 cup almond flour, spooned & levelled
- 1/4 cup coconut flour, spooned & levelled
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp espresso powder *Optional to enhance the chocolate flavour
- 1/3 cup (76 g) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp peppermint extract
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 6 oz white chocolate, melted
- 2 candy canes, crushed
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Start by mixing the almond flour, coconut flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt and espresso powder in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl cream the butter and brown sugar together using a stand mixer or hand mixer. Once creamed mix in the eggs and extracts on low speed.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined, careful not to over mix. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Using a 1 tbsp cookie scoop, scoop a heaping tablespoon of the batter onto the cookie sheets forming into small balls. Repeat and divide the cookies between the 2 cookie sheets. Press down slightly on the tops to flatten.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until the edges are set. Transfer to a cooling rack and allow them to cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- Once the cookies have cooled melt the white chocolate in a small bowl in 30 second increments in the microwave or by using a double boiler.
- Dip each cookie into the white chocolate, or alternately drizzle the melted white chocolate over top. Sprinkle generously with the crushed candy canes. Enjoy!