I have the perfect seasonal dessert for you – a gluten free Apple Crisp with peanut butter salted caramel. Don’t skip out on the Peanut Butter Salted Caramel- it adds that something extra to the traditional apple crisp!
This Apple Crisp is naturally gluten-free and can easily be made vegan with a few simple substitutions.
This recipe is gluten-free thanks to the oat base, and can easily be made vegan with a few simple substitutions indicated in the recipe. Enjoy this dessert topped with your favourite ice-cream and don’t skip the Peanut Butter Salted Caramel drizzle, it’s the best part!
Ingredients in Gluten Free Apple Crisp
- Oat flour
- Rolled oats
- Brown sugar
- Butter *Or sub vegan butter if needed
- Walnuts or your favourite
- McIntosh apples
- Pure maple syrup
- Vanilla extract
- Natural peanut butter
Replace the butter with a vegan butter substitute for the crisp topping and the peanut butter salted caramel. Use your favourite dairy-free ice cream when serving.
If you enjoy this recipe, I’d love it if you left me a review and star rating!
Gluten Free Apple Crisp with Peanut Butter Salted Caramel
- 1/2 cup oat flour From about 3/4 cup oat blended into a flour
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cut into small cubes
- 5 medium apples, thinly sliced-about 6 cups Honey Crisp or McIntosh apples are great in this recipe!
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch nutmeg (optional)
- Pinch salt
Peanut Butter Salted Caramel
- 1/4 cup smooth natural peanut butter
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- Generous pinch sea salt
Make the Crisp Topping
- Blend a heaping 1/2 cup rolled oats to get about 1/2 cup of oat flour. In a medium bowl mix together the oat flour, rolled oats, nuts, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt.
- Add the cold cubed butter. Using your hands, incorporate the butter into the other ingredients until you get a mixture with pea-sized crumbs. The mixture will be crumbly and lump together if you squeeze it between your hands.
- Place the crisp topping in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes while you prepare the rest of the recipe.
Make the Apple Filling
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Lightly grease a 12 x 9 (or similar sized) baking dish.
- Add the apples to the baking dish, sprinkling the cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, vanilla extract and maple syrup on top and mix together.
- Top the apples with the refrigerated crisp topping. Bake for 40-45 minutes until the crisp topping is golden brown.
Make the Peanut Butter Salted Caramel
- While the crisp cooks, make the peanut butter caramel. To a small microwave-safe bowl, add the ingredients for the peanut butter caramel and mix together.
- Place the peanut butter salted caramel in the microwave for about 10 seconds to thin the mixture. Top the baked apple crisp with your favourite ice cream and drizzle the "caramel" on top. Enjoy!
Make this recipe vegan easily by substituting vegan butter or coconut oil for the butter used in this recipe, and use dairy-free ice cream to top!