This delicious Apple Cheddar Salad with Maple Cider Vinaigrette is the perfect side or base for your lunches. The salty and sweet combination from the McIntosh apples, aged cheddar cheese, and salted walnuts will have you feeling all the fall vibes, yet it’s still fresh enough to enjoy all year round.
Ingredients in the Apple Cheddar Salad
- Walnuts, or sub nuts of choice
- Mixed greens
- Cheddar cheese (I love aged cheddar cheese)
- McIntosh Apple. Sub the variety of apple you prefer, I love this one as it adds that tart but sweet flavour.
Ingredients in Maple Cider Vinaigrette
- Olive Oil
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Dijon mustard
- Maple syrup: Use real maple syrup here to add the maple sweetness that pairs perfectly with the cheese and salted walnuts
- Garlic: Because every vinaigrette needs garlic
- Salt & Pepper to finish it off
How to make Apple Cheddar Salad
- Start by roasting the walnuts. When they are finished in the oven, sprinkle on a pinch of salt.
- While the walnuts cook, chop the lettuce leaves, apple and cheddar cheese.
- Make the Maple Cider Vinaigrette: Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Construct your salad: top the lettuce with the apple slices, cubed cheese and walnuts. Pour the vinaigrette over the salad, reserving some for topping later, or serve the dressing on the side. Enjoy!
Check out my other salad recipes here on the blog!
If you loved Apple Cheddar Salad with Maple Cider Vinaigrette, you’ll love this loaded Winter Kale Salad
Be sure to leave a star rating and review if you try it out. Star ratings help others find and enjoy my recipes!
Apple Cheddar Salad with Maple Cider Vinaigrette
Apple & Cheddar Salad
- 1 cup raw unsalted walnuts
- Pinch sea salt
- about 6 cups mixed salad greens
- 4 oz aged cheddar cheese, cubed
- 1 McIntosh Apple (or any type of apple) sliced or diced
Maple Cider Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp cracked black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350F and spread the walnut on a baking tray. Bake for 7 minutes until slightly golden and crispy. Once out of the oven add a pinch of salt, mix them around on the hot pan and allow to cool.
- Next, prepare the salad. To a large bowl add the salad greens and top with the cubed cheese and chopped apple.
- In a small mixing bowl or jar, add all the vinaigrette ingredients and wisk together.
- Add the cooled walnuts to the salad and serve with the vinaigrette mixed in or on the side if you anticipate leftovers. Enjoy!
- Serves about 4 as a main or 6 as a side.
- Feel free to use any type of apple that you have on hand or is in season!I choose McIntosh because they are slightly tart and complement the nuts and vinaigrette well.
- The Maple Cider Vinaigrette will last for about 5-7 days refrigerated. Remove from the fridge about 30 minutes before using if the olive oil starts to solidify.
- Store the salad refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days.