Comforting Slow-Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup, the perfect easy week-night dinner to keep warm.
Nothing beats a hot bowl of comforting chicken noodle soup on cold dreary days. This recipe uses the classic chicken noodle soup ingredients including carrots, celery, & onions, with the less classic- fresh ginger – for some extra comfort. Even better, it’s made right in the slow-cooker to make it even easier.
- I tested this recipe a few times, and I found whole wheat pasta to work the best when cooked separately. In one batch, I tried using dried egg noodles and it turned to mush – The whole batch was barely salvageable. To avoid my mistake, I recommend using regular pasta and cooking it separately so you can control how much the pasta cooks.
- Chicken breast will work here, although chicken thighs provide a richer flavour. I suggest using boneless, skinless chicken thighs and trimming the excess fat before cooking.
How to make The Most Comforting Slow-Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
The best thing about this recipe is that the slow-cooker does most of the work for you!
1. Simply add all the ingredients to the slow cooker except for the noodles, lemon juice and parsley.
2. Set the slow-cooker to high for 3 hours, or low for 6-8 hours. Once the chicken is cooked through, remove from the slow cooker.
3. With 2 forks, shred the chicken then add back to the slow cooker. Add in the lemon juice. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary. I thought it was perfect, just adjust as needed!
4. Cook the noodles separately. If using long noodles- like spaghetti or linguini, break into thirds before cooking. I cooked mine a minute-less than the instructions for al-dente. The noodles will continue to absorb liquid when added to the soup, so I don’t want them to become mushy.
If preparing this soup ahead of time to freeze, leave out the noodles as they won’t keep well once reheated. Cook the noodles just before serving.
Let me know what you think by leaving a review and star rating!
Comforting Slow-Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 ½ lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs, excess fat trimmed
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, sliced into half moons
- 3 large carrots, peeled and diced into small pieces
- 2 tsp dried rosemary, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 8 cups no added salt chicken broth
- 1 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt- or reduce if using salty chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 oz whole wheat spaghetti or linguini, broken into thirds or pasta of choice
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Optional* chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Add all ingredients except for the noodles, lemon juice and parsley to a slow cooker and mix.
- Set to high and cook for 3-4 hours, or 6-8 hours on low.
- Once done cooking and the chicken is cooked through (internal temp of 165F), remove the chicken and shred using 2 forks. Add back to the crock pot along with the lemon juice. Taste and adjust as necessary- add more salt, pepper or lemon juice to adjust if you'd like!
- If using long noodles like spaghetti, break them into thirds before cooking. Cook according to package directions to 1 MINUTE under al-dente- to ensure they dont turn to mush in the soup.
- Add in the noodles and fresh parsley if using just before serving. Enjoy!