The perfect lunch prep in a bowl! These Meal Prep Chicken Fajita Rice Bowls are the perfect way to prep your lunches in advance & they are made as easy as possible using a slow-cooker.
How to make Meal Prep Slow-Cooker Chicken Fajita Rice Bowls
- Start by preparing the chicken fajita ingredients. Simply add the chicken breast, sliced peppers & onion, can of green chilis (or sub for a jalapeño), can of crushed tomatoes, chicken broth and spices to the slow-cooker.
- Set to high for 3 hours. While the chicken and veggies are cooking, prepare your rice. I love to use a rice cooker, because similar to the slow cooker, you can just add your ingredients and let the machine do all the work (no need to stir the rice while it cooks!).
- You can also use this time to prepare the coleslaw and any other ingredients you want to include in the fajita bowls, like sliced cherry tomatoes, guacamole, etc.
- Once the chicken and veggies are finished cooking, remove the chicken and shred using 2 forks. Add back to the slow cooker and stir in the fresh lime juice.
Ingredients in Meal Prep Chicken Fajita Rice Bowls
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
- Bell peppers- any colour, I like a variety here
- Yellow onion & garlic for flavour
- 1 can crushed tomatoes- this adds liquid so the slow-cooker can do its work, and mixes well with the combo of spices
- Chicken broth or water: adds a little extra liquid to mix everything together and partially cover the chicken
- 1 Small Can of Green Chiles- The size I typically see is 127g! This is optional, omit if you don’t like spice
- A Blend of Fajita Spices
- Lime Juice! This is added just at the end once the fajitas are finished cooking, the acidity brings out the flavours!
- Sliced/Diced avocado or guacamole
- Halved cherry tomatoes
- Shredded cabbage or vinegar-based coleslaw
- Plain greek yogurt or sour cream
- Hot sauce if you want extra spice
Check out the recipes below to get even more inspo for your lunch meal prep!
Meal Prep Chicken Fajita Rice Bowls
Slow-Cooker Chicken Fajitas
- 1 ½ lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 3 chicken breasts)
- 4 bell peppers any colour, sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth or water
- 1 can green chiles (or sub 1 jalepeno deseeded and diced) optional
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp dried cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 2 cups cooked brown rice (about 3/4-1 cup uncooked rice)
- 1 bag (~400g) shredded coleslaw mix/shredded cabbage
- 1/3 cup fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 tbsp honey
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño deribbed and deseeded, diced
- Pinch salt & pepper
Make the Slow-Cooker Chicken Fajitas
- Add the chicken breast to the bottom of the slow-cooker. Add in all the other ingredients except for the lime juice then mix together so the chicken and veggies are all coated.
- Set to high for 3 hours, or low for 6 hours. While the chicken and veggies cook, you can prep the coleslaw, rice and any other toppings you choose to include.
- Once it has finished cooking remove the chicken and shred using 2 forks. Return back to the slow-cooker then stir in the lime juice. Taste and add more lime juice, salt and pepper if needed.
Make the Coleslaw
- Add the shredded cabbage into a medium bowl and mix in the fresh cilantro.
- In a small bowl or ramekin, add the oil, lime juice, honey, garlic, diced jalapeno, salt and pepper. Whisk together then mix it into the cabbage and cilantro mixture.
Make the Rice
- Make the rice according to package directions on the stovetop or using a rice cooker. You want about 2 cups cooked rice, which is typically 3/4 cup – 1 cup uncooked rice. Check your package directions as it will differ depending on the type and brand.
Construct the Fajita Rice Bowls
- For a grab and go lunch, divide the cooked rice between 4 containers and top with the fajita mixture. Store in the refrigerator. Reheat in the microwave just before eating, then top with some of the coleslaw. Top with cherry tomatoes, salsa, avocado or any toppings of choice! Enjoy!
Plain greek yogurt or sour cream
Halved Cherry tomatoes
Lime wedges to use before eating
Fresh cilantro for garnish.