A delicious and healthy banana bread kicked up a notch with chocolate marbled throughout. Make this recipe for a healthy snack, dessert, or even breakfast paired with a protein source!
Make it for breakfast
Pair a slice of this Healthy Marbled Chocolate Banana Bread with some greek yogurt and banana slices for a balanced breakfast.
Make it for snacking
Add a drizzle of natural peanut butter or almond butter on top of a slice to get some protein and healthy fats.
How to make Healthy Marbled Chocolate Banana Bread
This recipe is super simple to make. Simply mix your ingredients together as described below.
- Mash your banana in a medium bowl. Next, add in the remaining wet ingredients and mix them together.
- Add in the dry ingredients (except for the cocoa powder and chocolate chips!) and mix until just combined.
Make the chocolate batter for the marble:
- Next, you will need to scoop out half the batter into a separate medium bowl. Mix in the cocoa powder and fold in the chocolate chips.
- Alternate scooping in the regular and chocolate batter into a parchment-lined loaf pan. Using the sharp end of a knife, make some swirls to get a nice marbled look. Be sure not to go too crazy with this step, or the pattern will completely mix together.
- Lastly, top with some extra chocolate chips and bake in a 350F preheated oven for 50 minutes.
Feel free to add some chocolate chips to the regular batter as well.
Top with preferred chocolate or nuts. I used regular chocolate chips here. Dark chocolate, peanut butter chips, or even chocolate drizzle would be amazing! Chopped walnuts would also work well here.
Marbled Chocolate Banana Bread
- 3 large browned bananas, mashed
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup 100% maple syrup
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt, 0%
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour, spooned and levelled
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Spray a loaf pan with cooking oil and line with parchment paper (so the parchment stays in place!)
- In a medium bowl, mash the bananas. Add the eggs and whisk together. Add in the vanilla, maple syrup, olive oil and greek yogurt and stir to combine.
- To the same bowl add in the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Mix until just combined.
- Scoop out half the batter and add it to a separate bowl then add the cocoa powder. Mix well then fold in the chocolate chips.
- To the loaf pan, alternate scooping in the chocolate and regular batter, layering opposites on top of each other. With a knife, make some slices through the batter to get the marbled look. Ensure you don't mix too much with the knife or the batter will completely mix together.
- Bake for 50 minutes until the top is golden and slightly hardened. Allow the banana bread to set in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove from the pan and place on a wire cooling rack.
- Once cooled, slice into 8 slices. Enjoy!
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-4 days, or refrigerated for up to a week.